Sunday 7 July 2019

On Legs and Being Laughed At.

I’ve been doing some jobs in the garden today and it’s set off my aching left leg. I don’t even have to walk now; it aches when I’m sitting down.

I thought of getting a walking stick, you know. They have adjustable black ones in a shop in Uttoxeter for £10. I rather liked the look of them and wondered whether I could get…

Property of Princeton-Plainsboro. Please return.

… printed on the side. It occurred to me that if I held it close to my hip and wore my shirt outside my jeans, which I often do, I might get mistaken for the great man and asked for my autograph. Then again, my admirers might be a group of women, and the ones in the background might start whispering things like ‘I thought he was a lot taller than that’ and ‘I suppose he was wearing a wig when he was on the telly’ and ‘hasn’t his beard gone pale?’ And then I’d get very embarrassed and have to admit that I’m a fraud. So I think I’ll wait to see whether the hospital has any suggestions regarding the cause and possible remedy first. Meanwhile, it continues to make me miserable.

And I’m waiting for the day when some denizens of the Shire spot me at the bottom of the garden, and come over to say:

We haven’t seen you walking around the lanes lately.

‘No. My bad leg won’t let me.’

What’s wrong with your leg?

‘I don’t know.’

So how do you know it’s bad?

‘It hurts when I walk.’

Have you been to the doctor?

‘Yes.’

And what did he say?

‘He thinks my veins are silted up with tobacco residue and cholesterol.’

OOH… Sounds nasty. Can they be un-silted?

‘I’ve no idea. He’s referred me to the vascular surgery clinic at the hospital, but the waiting list is a long one.’

Oh well, we just wanted to tell you that we miss you. There’s nothing to laugh at any more.

And then they’ll run away tittering, and their little dogs will bounce after them with wagging tails because running away with tittering humans is such fun. And dogs and denizens alike will be confident in the knowledge that I’m quite unable to chase them waving the walking stick which I haven’t got yet.

And it really isn’t funny, you know.

No comments: