Friday 26 July 2019

Being No Harry Potter.

We all ask the question, don’t we? Well, we boys do:

‘Was I the Harry Potter of my school?’

I wasn’t. I’d say I was cleverer than Harry Potter, but I didn’t have his sort of throw-caution-to-the-wind courage. My courage was always of the defensive variety – standing my ground when the Mongol horde was charging with snowballs or the fire was burning out of control in a warehouse full of butane. You know, the sort of courage which saves face and the day. When it came to the matter of courage I was much more of a Ron Weasley than a Harry Potter. As such, I was more inclined to exercise discretion most of the time.

Maybe that was where I went wrong in life, but I think there might be a more telling reason:

We had no Hermione Granger at my school. If we had, who knows…

Seems the scotch is kicking in at last, just before bed time as usual. I think it’s too warm for bed time tonight.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I was the Hermione, for better or for worse.

JJ said...

I think I owe you an apology. When I first heard Snape say ‘That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?’ I should have thought of you. Sorry. Thanks for keeping an eye on me, Mad. And compliments to the mater for the occasional visit from New York. Hope you’re both well.