Saturday 27 July 2019

On Ladies, Legs and Heart Malfunctions.

I was leaning on a lamp post at the corner of the street today in case a certain little lady came by.

Actually, that isn’t true. What I was actually doing was standing on a ladder trimming the top of a tall, broad hedge with a pole hedge trimmer – in case a certain lady came by. She didn’t, of course. Certain little ladies never come by when you’re up a ladder trimming a hedge (or even leaning on a lamp post for that matter.) The prospect is but a fantasy, and who could ever accuse me of being a fantasist?

Somebody did stop her car to talk to me, though. I had to climb down the ladder to talk back. She was little, but not exactly a lady. She said:

‘I haven’t seen you walking around the lanes for a long time.’

‘I know,’ I replied with suitably wan expression. ‘My left leg won’t let me.’

‘That’s a shame,’ she continued with the merest hint of concern. ‘Walking is what you like doing.’

‘I know. I think my body is finally breaking down. I’ve smoked all my adult life and drunk far more alcohol than I’m supposed to.’

‘Oh well, at least you’re blaming yourself. That’s good.’

And then she drove away.

Several people have said ‘but walking is what you like doing’ and I always reply ‘I know’, but my leg never takes the hint.

But I suppose I should be grateful for one thing. It was when I last trimmed that hedge back in June that I had the disturbing episode which might have been a heart attack. I had no heart attack today, and who needs little ladies when you can avoid having heart attacks instead?

No comments: