Tuesday 23 July 2019

Millie Playing Cupid.

… well, not Cupid exactly. I came across a young woman (young by my standards) in Uttoxeter today, sitting where I usually take my lunch, and Millie the pigeon was wandering around close by picking up crumbs. And so I introduced them.

‘Hello, Millie,’ said the woman. Millie was too busy crumb-picking to do the decent thing and reply.

I then spent about twenty minutes with the young(ish) woman, talking largely of matters avian, while dear Millie picked crumbs contentedly in the sunshine. Eventually I said ‘it was nice talking to you’ and she said ‘you too’ and then I left. And this is a good thing because I’ve never been able to do long term relationships. Twenty minutes is quite something by my standards. But Millie brought us together, for what it was worth. And I never asked the young(ish) woman’s name, but she didn’t look like an Abigail so it didn’t matter.

Oh, and I saw the Tea and Toast Lady in Costa Coffee again. She glanced at me and her eyes carried something approximating to interest. That was a little frightening, so I took my coffee outside and drank it there.

No comments: