Monday 22 July 2019

Beware the Itching Time.

A few days ago I got an insect bite on my arm when I was gardening. I didn’t notice it at the time and felt nothing all day, but then it started itching madly shortly after one o’clock in the morning. The following day I felt nothing again – until shortly after one o’clock in the morning. And the same thing happened on the next two successive days.

So why do insect bites only start itching after 1am? Is this something to do with the spirit of the wee small hours? And did Shakespeare commit a typo when he wrote Tis now the very witching time of night. Did he get bitten by an insect that day and intend to write Tis now the very itching time of night?

I have a theory. There is always a little alcohol in my bloodstream by one o’clock in the morning, whereas it’s very unusual for there to be alcohol in my bloodstream at any other time of day. In fact, Christmas is virtually the only time when I drink alcohol during the day, and biting insects are notable by their absence at Christmas.

I suspect the rationalists might hold their ground on this one.

No comments: