Saturday 13 July 2019

Music and Illusion.

Now here’s an interesting fact. I’m currently watching a compilation of Harry Potter clips on YouTube, all set to the title track of Mamma Mia! And liking it.

Imagine that: Me – a slightly oddball, reclusive and mostly depressed English fruitcake who is (or so I’m told) a rare example of one who perceives the mystical quality in the music of Vaughan Williams and whose only musical role model was Bob Dylan.

I suppose it just goes to show that it’s possible for a generally refined taste to enjoy crap music – and a second hand version at that – as long as it’s accompanied by images of worthier note, in this case the sheer irresistibility of Hermione Granger aged 11 – 21.

I never found my own version of Hermione, you know. I came close once but it was a bit like looking at Orion in the night sky. The stars might look as though they’re all on a flat plane up there, but in fact some are about 50 billion light years further away from us than others.

No comments: