Tuesday 9 January 2018

When a Man and a Woman...

I’m now pretty much convinced that, contrary to cherished belief, love and sex are not in any way connected. I think it more than likely that the concept was established disingenuously by the Puritans to justify the sin which was unavoidable, promoted hopefully by the Victorians to ameliorate their sense of guilt, and taken enthusiastically to the bosom of subsequent generations of parents in an attempt to minimise the excruciating sense of embarrassment when explaining certain fundamental matters to their offspring.

I offer the suggestion that love is something rarefied and indefinable which has its root in the higher mind, while sex is – at least to most people – a simple biological imperative driven by the Id.

(Ah, but I could go on to suggest that sex can rightly be aligned with principles which fall into the fields of mysticism and spirituality. Imagine how difficult that would be to explain. Should I try? No. There are plenty of books on the subject and my attention span is far too short.)

No comments: