Friday 5 January 2018

Adjusting the Dictum.

It’s after midnight and I haven’t made a post yet today. That bothers me, but the fact is that I spent most of the day tending the birds, perambulating the Shire, braving the blast with spade in hand, and doing household chores. And then the evening was spent Skyping and emailing. (What an easy life I have compared with some people.)

I did wonder why I spend so much time and effort on emails. Is it because I’m concerned about saying the right thing, or is it more to do with ego? Is it both, and is that acceptable? My standards and motivations are so important to me, you see. Why is that? Should they be so important? I don’t know, which is why life and mortality can be a bugger at times.

I did have one interesting thought tonight, though. You know that hoary old New Age dictum: Always follow your heart, for you heart is never wrong? I don’t like it; it’s too easily misappropriated to mean ‘do whatever is easier, pleasanter, more profitable, or more comfortable.’ It would make more sense to me if it read: Train your will to accord with your soul’s known purpose, and then do what you want to do.

How the hell you achieve success in such a purpose I can’t begin to guess. I don’t even know whether we have a soul or not. I don’t know anything except trivial facts like my name and the price of baked beans. So I’m not preaching or trying to coin a radical new sound bite to augment the flotsam already washing around the ocean of New Age literature. It’s just that the latter seems to be less forgiving of human frailty than the former, and you know how disturbed I sometimes am by expressions of human frailty.

No comments: