Tuesday 16 January 2018

A Rare Need.

I’ve been a loner all my life, or at least all the life I remember. I always thought it an honourable state and took quiet satisfaction from the fact. And yet, oddly, I also considered it my duty to help others when they needed it. (I’ve occasionally wondered whether that was due to some deeply hidden angelic delusion, a notion which I’m sure would elicit great amusement among most of those who knew me down the years.) And yet there it is: maybe a paradox or maybe not.

What I now find interesting is that even the most perennial and committed of loners can reach a point where they need just the right person to step forward and say ‘I’m here for you. Count on me.’ It’s a new experience, and observing it is just as interesting as observing all the other weird little traits and sensibilities.

So why am I recording this on my blog when there’s nobody out there reading it who can fit the bill, or even gives a damn for that matter? Because that’s one of the functions a blog like this serves. Why else?

No comments: