Wednesday 17 January 2018

Blogger's Bane.

If I sit in my house I get cold. If I go outside I get colder. At the moment I’m leading a kind of double life because there’s a raw wind blowing and some of it is gaining access to my house. I usually manage to be warm in bed, but last night I woke up at 4am feeling cold. I needed to go to the bathroom and the bathroom is unheated, so guess what. I was still cold when I went back to sleep.

The two most exciting things which happened in Ashbourne today were: 1) Sainsbury’s had egg and cress sandwiches for the first time in several weeks. 2) I tried a different cake in the coffee shop and was unimpressed. There were no ladies in evidence to encourage a trickle of adrenalin, just lots of strange women who might have been transparent for all I cared or noticed. The only dog to which I made friendly overtures looked at me with suspicion and a hint of malice. Ashbourne was cold (and grey, damp and windy.)

The doctor I saw yesterday was pleased that arrangements for what should be a relatively minor operation were in train. He then delighted in giving me the results from my latest batch of tests. So good were they that I might have been forgiven for thinking myself a veritable Dorian Gray who was currently around age 25 and falling. But then he said: ‘But…’ There is something he is concerned about and is to order further, deeper examinations. That sort of thing causes me stress, which is ironic because stress is very likely the root of whatever potential malaise is concerning him. (Life can be playfully ironic at times.)

So tell me, what is a blog writer supposed to do in such circumstances? How does he find the necessary enthusiasm and acumen to pursue his desire to be amusing, sagacious, informative, silly, or whatever else he’s trying to accomplish in a cold world which isn’t offering very much inspiration? I need seven more posts to reach a milestone. Will I fall short?

No comments: