Monday 24 February 2014

Consequences.

As I was getting back from an uneventful walk today, I decided to carry on in the opposite direction and walk a little further. This change of plan produced two unforeseen consequences:

1. A car came towards me in the narrow confines of The Hollow, so I stepped onto the rough verge and promptly stumbled when my foot caught under a protruding branch. Needless to say, I had the presence of mind to stumble forwards rather than sideways into the path of the car, but it just goes to show how a seemingly innocuous change of mind can possibly have a significant effect on the progress of your life.

2. I was joined for the last couple of hundred yards by the two loveliest ladies in the Shire, which just goes to show how a seemingly innocuous change of mind can have a significant effect on the progress of your day.

*  *  *

I’ve mentioned before on this blog that my mind has a disconcerting habit of standing a little way removed from my body and observing virtually whatever I do. This also has two notable consequences:

1. I’m permanently lumbered with a most irritating back seat driver.

2. I’ve found that if I try to observe myself thinking, which I sometimes do, I become quite incapable of analytical thought. Fortunately, I rarely do it in situations of extreme potential ramification. But then, I’m much more likely to switch to instinct in such situations anyway, so maybe it wouldn’t matter.

No comments: