Wednesday 24 March 2010

Today's Nice Happening.

I was out gardening today when I spotted my lone March bumblebee lying on a near-defunct crocus flower. It looked dead. I thought it rather sad, so I touched it gently and it moved. More than that, it climbed onto my finger. I carried it to a clump of vigorous primroses and set it down. Not interested; it just sat on a leaf waving its front legs in the air. So I put my finger in front of it again, and on it climbed. I carried it to some little, star-shaped blue flowers that I don’t even know the name of, but which have centres laden with pollen. I placed it gently on the edge of one. It took to that flower like a baby to its mother’s breast – feeding away like a good ’un. Gosh, that made my day.

2 comments:

Ruthie Redden said...

its about the small things isn't it, they bring so much pleasure & are folk so often overlook them.

JJ said...

Hello Ruthie! What are you doing here? Haven't you got enough to do?

Only kidding...

Yes indeed, I was thinking only today that the older I get, the more I value the small things in life. I get quite soppy over female house sparrows. Is there anything more innocuous than a female house sparrow? Not to me. They're beautiful little birds. I could stand and look at them all day.

Nice to see you.