Thursday 4 March 2010

A Dubious Dependence.

According to a documentary on the TV tonight, one sixth of the population of Britain has never used the internet. Does that make us backward, or does it suggest that a modicum of good sense still prevails in certain quarters? I have to admit that I would find it inconvenient to be without it these days, not least because it’s invaluable for the transmission of manuscripts. Something niggles me, though. The development of new technology always goes through three phases: 1) invention, 2) use, 3) dependence. You only have to look as far as the motor car, and how panicked people become at the first hint of a fuel shortage, to understand that one. Not only do we build our personal lives around technology, we redesign the whole fabric of our society upon a touching faith in the fact that the technology will not be subject to attack or meltdown. I wonder whether that is really a very wise thing to do.

And maybe we are missing out on something, too. My old computer became effectively unusable last November, and a lack of money forced me to do without one for two months. I paced up and down in frustration for a week or two, and then I went and sat by an open fire with a real book. It was Wuthering Heights. After reading it twice, and after reading more books about the Brontes, I wrote an essay on the relationship between Heathcliff and Cathy (which I believe is universally misunderstood, by the way.) I wrote it longhand, with a pen! What a pleasure that was! Rediscovering how to function without a screen and a keyboard. Now that I have a computer again, I still sit in front of a fire and read a book for a little while in the evening. In the summer, I will read outside in the sunshine instead.

9 comments:

pnorthluskin said...

Word.

JJ said...

OK, five minutes of puzzling have given me four possibilities so far:

1) I'm being obtuse (probable.)
2) You're correcting a typo in my post somewhere (unlikely.)
3) You're being enigmatic (possible.)
4) This is an example of American vernacular with which I'm unfamiliar (also possible.)

But, thanks anyway. Thanks...Yeah.

JJ said...

Anyway, stop reading my blog and get on with writing your own. You say much nicer things than I do.

KMcCafferty said...

Technology is wonderful, but it is frightening isn't it? Have you read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley? Despite that it was written nearly 100 years ago, it's still incredibly relevant today.
I am so drawn to old cultural traditions and ways and appreciations of small things, all of which seem to be slowly disappearing. And I have to wonder whether that is just a natural thing, part of progress, or whether it's a terrible mistake.

JJ said...

I'm sure it can be either. I think the trick is to be circumspect - to be the master of technology, and not let it rule us - to harmonize the old with the new, and be the richer for it. I have a copy of Brave New World, but I've never read it. I must. It's in a box somewhere (groan!) The small things are usually the most profound because they get into that part of us that the big things don't. Treasure the small things, McC. They will sustain you when the world is falling apart.

pnorthluskin said...

"Word" is probably American vernacular...it is the teenage equivalent of "Amen to that" - and I admit that my speech is peppered by teenage expressions. I plead innocence - I spend most of my waking hours with them! In any case, I don't have television hook-up, which is next to sacrilege in the US. All to say, I appreciated this entry.

JJ said...

Thanks, P. The British equivalent used to be 'sound' or 'bad.' But that was five years ago when I worked for an inner city charity. Maybe they say 'word' now.

Nuutj said...

I have become more addicted to internet after knowing how to search stuffs on google reader. Anyway, I still can concentrate on reading real books and writing journals on my diary. Thank goodness. (anyway they can't compare to your books and essays.)

JJ said...

I feely admit that the internet can be very useful when you're in the middle of writing a novel, and then realise you haven't a clue how big the stone blocks are in an Egyptian pyramid! That happened. For me, though, the biggest benefit has been making contact with a lot of very lovely and interesting people (see above.) I feel a post coming on here.