Sunday 14 March 2010

To Praise or not to Praise.

I like to post every day, but I’ve left it late. It’s way past midnight and the scotch is kicking in, so I’ll make it short. I think we praise too highly the qualities people are born with, and not highly enough those they’ve had to work at. A simple example: It makes no sense to praise fearlessness, but every sense to praise bravery. People confuse the two, and they shouldn’t. As oft-quoted as it is, I still like what Herman Hess had to say: ‘There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.’ Isn’t Jesus of Nazareth reported to have said something similar?

4 comments:

Small, But Significant said...

I completely agree. I look back at how far I've come and I can't help celebrating the differences I see.

A good observation.

JJ said...

And tomorrow you'll be different again. I think it inevitable that the truth seeker should be constantly changing, and always embracing those changes. The only problem I've found is that it tends to lead to the life of a loner. I've got used to that now and I'm perfectly happy with it, but it was a struggle until I realised what was going on.

Nuutj said...

Hope you don't mind my short comment like 'I agree with you and I like it.'

I am proud for who and what I am now. And I am sure that I'll always be for whatever I am turning to be.

JJ said...

Any comment is treasured, however small. Thank you.