Monday 15 March 2010

Intimations of Mortality.

One Saturday afternoon in the summer of 2003 I had a phone call from my nephew. He told me that his father, my brother, had died of an aneurism. He had driven his wife shopping that morning, and never gone home again. By 4 pm he was just a corpse in an Oxford hospital. It sharpened my perception of mortality, and I began to dwell on it a bit.

Last summer I was sent for tests on a ‘swollen gland’ under my left ear that had been there for three years. After they'd done an ultrasound scan and a biopsy (which took three attempts and was bloody painful!) I asked the doctor who was checking the sample whether there was any immediate diagnosis to be had. I remember his words well: ‘There’s little doubt you have a tumour, but there’s nothing in the history to suggest malignancy.’ The second part of his statement seemed somewhat vague; it was the first part that struck home. ‘Tumour’ isn’t a nice word. It was the first time I’d heard it in reference to me. It was about five weeks before I had another consultation, followed by an MRI scan. Those five weeks were interesting.

I wondered whether I would still be here at Christmas. I began to have tentative thoughts on what plans I should make, and how difficult it could be to break the news to the couple of people I thought might have reason to be concerned. My spiritual beliefs suddenly seemed a little flimsier than they had previously. Most of all, though, I realised how attached I’d become to this thing I call me. The notion that I might cease to exist before long was an interesting experience. I was aware of how much we take our physical existence for granted. We go to bed every night, not doubting that we’ll wake up in the morning. We say ‘be back shortly’ when we go out, not knowing whether we will or not.

The MRI scan confirmed that I had a Wartharin’s Tumour. They’re non-malignant, and so the sharp edge of my intimations of mortality was blunted, but those intimations haven’t gone away altogether. Sometimes they take the form of numbers. How many mornings have I woken up? How many meals have I had? What percentage of an average lifetime have I now used up?

I know that my life will consist of so many days. Nearly every night when I go to bed, the last thought I have before I turn off the light is ‘that’s another one gone. I wonder how many more there will be.’ It isn’t a chilling thought, nor even a morbid one. It’s just interesting. And it has encouraged in me the tendency to live the moment. The past is merely memory, the future unknowable. Now is all that matters. I’m calmer for it, and more accepting of the mysterious road that is about to unfold before me, on this earth or some other.

2 comments:

Emily said...

i completely identify with all of what you said...lately i'm having weird health problems for the first time in my life, and death has been on my mind. it's a fascinating subject, one that i had only ever thought about in an intellectual sort of way until recently.

have you ever wondered how many heartbeats you have left? it's probably not the kind of thing anyone would want to know, even if it was possible to know it...but i've been thinking about how my heart will beat a finite number of times and will stop at a certain time on a certain day. thinking about death makes me want to change so many things in my life.

JJ said...

Yes, heartbeats are another one of the 'numbers.' I don't follow any religious or spiritual tradition, but the nature of existence has always been a (probably 'the') major preoccupation of my life. I feel no certainty about anything, and yet I've never doubted that there's more to the nature of being than the material reality we see around us. I choose to believe that we each have a personal road to follow, and I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to the Tao as I get older. I do those things that I like doing and that need to be done, and I try to be helpful when the occasion arises. Apart from that, to me it's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other and letting the road come to me. The nearest I have to a certainty is that my consciousness will continue until it's ready to rejoin the ultimate reality, like a raindrop falling into the sea. I try not to worry about any of it.

Thank you so much for the comment, Em.