Tuesday 23 March 2010

Of Only Passing Interest.

I learned today that we have a celebrity in Britain called Sophie Dahl. I gather she used to be a top model. I think of modelling as one of those pointless occupations that seem to proliferate in modern society, the sort in which people get paid a lot of money for doing something that has no inherent value. So maybe that’s why I’d never heard of her.

Anyway, dear Sophie is moving up in the world; she is becoming useful. She is to present a new cookery show on BBC 2. Yet another cookery show is just what we need, isn’t it? You really can’t have enough cookery shows, can you? It's a very useful thing to do. And her celebrity status will, no doubt, be even further enhanced. So now people will think she’s even more important. And I expect she’ll become even richer.

What a weird world this is.

6 comments:

Small, But Significant said...

I haven't heard from you in a while. I've been writing again. I thought I would tell you my appointment is on Friday. I'll be finding out if I'm sick or not then.

I hope everything is good with you.

JJ said...

You must be feeling very anxious. It's at times like this that you realise how unimportant life's little glossy bits are when placed against good health. I feel for you. I wish you the best for Friday, and I'll keep good thoughts for you.

Emily said...

i confess i kind of love cooking shows...some of them are totally inane but some are awesome. especially “chopped,” have you seen that one? four chefs are given the opportunity to create appetizers, main dishes and desserts using some of the most bizarre required ingredients, which are presented as a surprise to all. they have a very short amount of time to conceive of and execute something brilliant, and one chef is eliminated in each round. it’s so creative and inspiring. i get pretty into it, too--i’ll get ideas for how the chefs should use the ingredients and then have one-sided arguments with them when they don’t use my suggestions. i also get extremely pissed off when the arrogant, nasty-attitude chefs win. when they lose i’m elated.

i’ve learned a lot of cooking terms and techniques from that show, and i’ve learned about a number of foods that i’d never heard of before or didn’t know how to use. but of course, since you think cooking is a huge waste of time and no one should bother beyond pushing buttons on the microwave, maybe this is all falling on deaf ears, hehe.

JJ said...

Pushing buttons! Certainly not. Sounds like hard work. Getting up to answer the door to the pizza delivery driver is tough enough.

Charlotte Tea said...

Hahaha, I agree with Emily! I really do have a soft spot for cooking shows! By the way - your January democracy post sent me off on a rant (see my latest blog post). But a respectful one, I hope you realise. I love hearing other peoples views on things I'm so passionate about!

JJ said...

I hope you take my reply to your post in like spirit, Charlotte.