Monday 26 September 2022

Variations on the Theme of Cold.

September hasn’t really felt like September this year. There have been too many days stuck in a cold airflow and too many nights with condensation on the upstairs windows. When I went for my evening stroll today – mainly to see how the hedge trimmers were getting on because one of them waved to me from the cab of his tractor earlier – I got caught in a sudden flurry of strong wind and cold rain. It didn’t feel much like a typical September evening.

And do you know what I really dislike about sitting in front of a computer in a cold house?  It’s the constant awareness of cold air on the inside of my nose (because my mouth happens to be closed and there’s only one other way to breathe. And if I didn’t breathe I’d be dead and then I’d be even colder, especially if I was lying on a cold slab in a cold room and nobody ever offered me a hot drink or a bowl of porridge. And I think I’m probably the only person in the world who finds that funny, so I think I’ll shut up and finish my coffee. It stopped being hot ten minutes ago.)

No comments: