Wednesday 21 September 2022

Nadgy Briefs on the World Out There.

After all the issues I’ve been having with British Telecom and E.ON NEXT (my energy supplier) recently, the latest large organisation to have me rolling my eyes with incomprehension at their sheer lack of nous in the matter of organising something simple is the dear old NHS. What on earth is going on these days? Everything seems to be broken.

*  *  *

Reading between the lines of the propaganda, it does appear to be a fact that Mr Putin is not only losing the war in Ukraine, but also his equilibrium. This could be dangerous. And it also appears to be a fact that opposition to the war among the Russian public is growing, but only a few are prepared to openly protest and who can blame them? It seems to me that the obvious way to get out of this mess is for the Russian army to turn around, go home, and put Mr Putin in his rightful place. I doubt it will happen, but you never know.

*  *  *

I was reading today about the Hindu mob which went on the rampage against Muslims in the normally peaceful city of Leicester a few nights ago. It was pretty scary, apparently. I was also reading about the protests in Iran against the abusive behaviour of the ‘morality police’, and it brought to mind my growing conviction that religion really does have to go. People could still have their faith and be free to worship their version of God, but would have to do so in private. I doubt it’s too far from the truth to suggest that religions and their power-hungry leaders have probably been responsible for more suffering down the centuries than anything else.

*  *  *

One of the American YouTubers whose channel I subscribe to has posted nothing lately apart from video after video about the Queen’s death and funeral. I haven’t watched any of them because I’ve had more than enough of it on this side of the pond, so could we please let Lizzie rest in peace now.

*  *  *

And then there’s the growing awareness of the horrors being generated, presumably unwittingly but still recklessly, by the social media platforms (including YouTube, which is the only one I have anything to do with.) I needn’t go into detail, need I?

*  *  *

Nothing noteworthy happened in Ashbourne today. And this evening I had further evidence that Millie the horse only wants to know me when I’m bearing apples and carrots. As for people, apples and carrots don’t seem to impress them much and I don’t think I’m capable of offering anything that does.

No comments: