Wednesday 14 September 2022

The Bats Came Back.

My garden came alive this evening with the arrival of several bats out a-hunting. They were flying close, too, which is always a thrill. And I was particularly pleased because that sort of thing used to be an almost daily occurrence during the warmer months, but it hasn’t happened for several years.

So to what do I owe this sudden reprise of an old pleasure? I imagine it was because hibernation beckons, and when it’s nearly time to go to sleep for several months, a bat needs to get fat. But why today specifically? Probably the fact that all my hedges received the attention of blade-wielding contractors today, so maybe there were lots of homeless insects about.

Whatever the reason, it was delightful to see them. But apologies to insects everywhere. Life really isn’t fair, is it?

No comments: