Sunday 10 July 2022

Yet More Unconnected Notes.

It was rather warm by UK standards today and the clear atmosphere meant that the sun was baking hot. I spent a tedious hour being roasted by it while painting an old fashioned casement window (small panes and lots of wood at different angles) brilliant white, and I discovered that using white paint with a high, hot sun behind you makes your eyes ache

*  *  *

The delayed Women’s European Football Championship is taking place in the UK at the moment and is proving very popular. Bearing in mind that football (soccer) has traditionally been a man’s game in Europe, I wonder how many men are really interested in the game, and how many simply like watching twenty two nubile young women running around a field in short shorts. And I don’t think I’m being unduly cynical in saying as much. On the contrary, I think it inevitable that the latter should be true in many cases. For my part, I admit to having a foot in both camps, but I am trying to get better.

*  *  *

I have my next CT scans booked for next Sunday afternoon and I’m feeling rather nervous about it. I have only eight months of the 5-year post-cancer screening process left, and I fear they will find something at the eleventh hour and the whole damn thing will start again. I realise that I’m being neurotic, but if such a thing were to happen it would be like coming home from five years at war, having survived the bombs, the bullets and the bayonets, only to have a large tree branch fall on your head when you’re within spitting distance of your front door.

No comments: