Saturday 9 July 2022

Exits in Threes and Excess Smiles.

Isn’t it odd how things happen in groups? First Boris Johnson is hounded out of office by the overwhelming will of his party, then Shinzo Abe gets assassinated, and now the President of Sri Lanka has had to flee a protesting mob and their Prime minister has been forced to resign. Meanwhile, most of the worst tyrants are still holding the reins of power unmolested. That’s a shame.

On the home front, today was singularly uneventful unless you count my being smiled at by Honourable Sister from the driver’s seat of her new black Volvo. Actually it’s a second hand black Volvo, but it’s newer than her older white Volvo. I wonder whether she’s a Wallander fan. He drove a black Volvo if you remember. You should because I remarked on it often enough.

(I wonder whether this post is worth continuing. It’s a bit lacking in substance so far, isn’t it?)

Well, today I met no dogs, no horses, no friendly cows, and no strange ladies in woods, but the weather was good and I did have a stroke of good fortune. Remember me ordering a copy of Kazuo Ishiguro’s Klara and the Sun from a second hand bookseller for the knock-down price of £4.99? It arrived today earlier than forecast and it wasn’t quite what I was expecting. I was expecting a second hand paperback with a bit of scuffing and a few dog eared pages. What I got was a pristine hardback copy which looks as though it was lifted off the shelf of a bookshop.

So that’s two smiles I was given today – one from Honourable Sister and one from Lady Luck. I usually average around five a year, so now I’m wondering how much the Universe is going to charge me for today’s excess supply.

No comments: