Tuesday 26 July 2022

Two Notes on Matters European.

I’ve occasionally made light-hearted references to the glumness of the Swede. Well, tonight it was no joke because they lost 4-0 to England in the semi-final of the Women’s European championship.

They did me a favour, though. At the end of the game I didn’t see a single Swedish girl engulfed in lachrymatory lament, so there was no need for me to feel guilty about my team winning. Well done Swedish ladies. Valhalla awaits and you may share my sauna on the way there. (That bit really is a joke.)

*  *  *

On the political front, I gather Europe now has a first rate narrow nationalist (some of his compatriots say ‘neo-Nazi’) in the form of Hungary’s Viktor Orban. Oh good; that’s all we needed. But here’s what’s odd:

I gather he’s a friend of Mr Putin, and one of Putin’s strange excuses for invading Ukraine was the justifiable excising of a Nazi-oriented country from the environs of Russia (even though Zelensky is a Jew.) So shouldn’t he be invading Hungary instead of Ukraine? Maybe he will. Just speculating.

No comments: