Tuesday 5 July 2022

On Mornings and Musicals.

Here we are at the high point of high summer and the evenings have the chill of early autumn about them. I’m tempted to wonder whether the bats are getting confused and Mr and Mrs Bat are arguing over whether it’s time to go to sleep yet and whether the kiddies need a hat on to go out for their evening whizz.

Then again, I do feel the cold easily these days and being tired doesn’t help. I’m tired because I had to get up with the alarm at 9 o’clock this morning in order to make my blood test appointment at the doctor’s. I do realise that by 9 o’clock most people are well into their working day, having already been out for a five-mile jog, made and eaten breakfast, got the kids off to school, accidentally trodden on the dog’s tail and had to say sorry, performed their regulation bowel movement, and sat in a two-mile traffic queue while humming along to some manufactured noise masquerading as music on Radio 2. But to me, reprobate that I am, 9 o’clock is the wee small hours of the morning.

And talking of the wee small hours of the morning reminds me that I’ve long been something of a Frank Sinatra fan, and that I’ve had him singing Send in the Clowns in my head for much of the day. And that brings me to another thought:

As far as I know, Send in the Clowns comes from some modern musical or other, but I can’t be bothered to find out which one because I feel a serious level of distaste for modern musicals. From what little I’ve seen of them, they seem to be all about razzmatazz, gaudy costumes, gallons of over-projection, and music which falls far short of being musical. (I assume that at least 90% of the world disagrees with me.) I’m a little ashamed to admit that I find the classic old 50s Hollywood musicals reasonably tolerable, though. Their sheer plasticity and naiveté is somewhat disturbing, but at least they had melodies (including my all time favourite by Mr Borodin.)

The only other song I like from a modern musical is Tell Me on a Sunday. I don’t know which musical that comes from either, but it’s obvious that I must be very sad.

No comments: