Thursday 21 July 2022

Both Sides Now.

More frustration tonight, foisted on me (and plenty of others, no doubt) by the now customary incompetence, ineptitude and general inconsideration of the techno-driven world. And all I was trying to do was buy a big bag of peanuts for the bird feeder online.  (Do you know, I had such difficulty with one supplier recently that they eventually insisted I be paid compensation for my trouble. I accepted their offer, but it’s never arrived.)

It’s now four days since my CT scans. Knowing the system as I do, this is the point at which I begin to feel increasing anxiety. My brain tells me I shouldn’t get anxious, I should switch off and let things come to me as and when they will. I’d so like to be made that way, but I’m not.

And now the other side of today:

The temperature today was around 17°C lower than it was on Tuesday. That’s a big drop, so this evening I took a stroll up the lane armed with two carrots for the two lady horses which live in different fields up there. The cool, still evening air was refreshing and the hint of dampness verging on the seductive. And then a pale sun broke through to make the picture complete. Perfection at last, in one regard at least. (Unfortunately, both horses were absent and Caroline’s cat fled at my approach, but at least there was still the walk back to enjoy.)

And the drop in temperature produced another benefit. During the heat of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, the air in these parts was cacophonous with the sound of sheep in the back field bleating in evident discomfort. Today all was silence. I like silence. Silence has no techno obsession to pollute it.

No comments: