Thursday 7 December 2023

On Something Sadly Relinquished.

I was just starting my second scotch and watching something on YouTube last night when I realised that a major element has gone out of my life.

When I was a very much younger person, young and youngish women of handsome appearance, fulsome personality, and sound intelligence would occasionally take an interest in me. Their facial expressions and body language would express a message which went something like: ‘I find you interesting and possibly attractive, at least in a manner of speaking, and would like you to come closer so that I may investigate further. What you see in my eyes and body language is the invitation.’ And then I would decide whether to accept or decline the invitation depending on whether the interest was reciprocated or not.

It doesn’t happen any more, of course. Overripe fruit is neither attractive nor interesting unless you happen to be an artist with a taste for nature’s process of decay. I think I’m resigned to the loss now, but I still miss it.

Young and youngish women do still regard me somewhat enigmatically now and then, but there’s no invitational body language any more, just a quizzical look which leaves me wondering what they’re seeking to know. I’m tempted to speculate that maybe they’ve just entered into a long term commitment and are pondering how they’re going to feel when they find themselves attached to a piece of overripe fruit a few decades down the line.

No comments: