Sunday 17 December 2023

A Surfeit of Stranger and Other Bits.

Remember the man I talked about on Friday, the stranger who was working on a drain in The Hollow? Yesterday he was driving down the road in his car and stopped to tell me what he’d found. And today I bumped into him three times in Tesco. Isn’t it odd how strangers, like sorrows, come not single spies but in battalions?

And talking of Tesco, I was going to make a post about my observation of how people treat shopping trolleys, both when they’re picking them up and when they’re putting them back. It was going to be about the distress I experience when I see evidence of people’s disorganised minds, and how today’s evidence outside Tesco indicated that when it comes to practical matters, men appear to have more organised minds than women. But I decided it was too boring to talk about and so I didn’t.

So let’s go back to sorrows coming not as single spies but in battalions:

Bits of crisp (chips to the DYs), dozens of them.

I was watching the live action version of The Last Airbender tonight and decided I could allow myself a pack of crisps because I’d only had a bowl of home made soup and a roll for dinner. After I’d finished I felt something crunch under my foot, and looked down to see bits of crisp – or battalions of them if we’re going to be fanciful – arranged around my chair. That’s disgusting, isn’t it? And when I bent down to pick them up while still listening to the soundtrack of the film, my headphones kept falling off my head. That’s really, really irritating.

And what, you might ask, did I think of the live action version. (Readers of longstanding might recall my running commentary on the animated version a year or two ago.)

Not impressed for several reasons, not least being the fact that I’m half way through the film and my favourite character – Toff – hasn’t appeared yet. If she doesn’t, or if she does but is as badly played as some of the other characters, the DVD is definitely going down the pan (but not quite literally.)

No comments: