Saturday 23 December 2023

On Failures and Fairy Dust.

Life is treating me a little unkindly at the moment. So many things around me are cracking up, packing up, malfunctioning; and the body which continues to carry me along the road of life is not exempt from the process. I won’t bother to list the others.

But it isn’t all bad, for today I was treated to another horse fix. That’s two in two days. Maybe the Christmas fairy still has hopes for my redemption and is giving me the odd nudge or two in the right direction.

Today’s splendid equine was no ex-racehorse – he was too heavily muscled for that, and he was a skewbald. (Whoever heard of a skewbald racehorse?) He was helping himself to some fresh hay on the verge near the village post box, and as I came around the corner he turned to stare at me. He continued to stare as I got closer, and so I asked him why he was regarding me with suspicion. ‘Oh he’s not suspicious,’ said the young person to whom he was giving the favour of a ride, ‘he’s just nosy.’ And then he pushed his nose against mine and we became friends.

And the young person sitting on his back was female, pretty, and personable, so that made two fixes for the price of one. If the Christmas fairy continues in this vein I might be tempted to wish somebody a merry Christmas before the clock strikes midnight tomorrow.

No comments: