Saturday 9 December 2023

A Brief Note on Corporate Caps.

It’s interesting, isn’t it, how certain verbs enter the language not from Greek, or Latin, or Old Norse, but from association with brands. A tech company called Google starts up, produces an internet search facility, and before you know it we have the verb ‘to Google.’ And people, even today, use the verb ‘to Hoover’ instead of ‘to vacuum.’

The fact itself is of little consequence, but what I find irritating is that if you type ‘I’m going to hoover the carpet’ in Word, you get your wrists slapped and told that the first letter of the verb must be in upper case. Why? Because Hoover is a brand name and that makes it a proper noun.

So what? Normal verbs which come from creditable ancient sources like Greek, Latin, and Old Norse aren’t afforded that privilege, so why should those emanating from the corporate world?

Seems I now have another reason why, if I have to come back to this dysfunctional and divided world in my next life, it had better be as top boss. Then I can put the corporate world firmly in its place where it belongs.

No comments: