Sunday 3 December 2023

Fall for Fall.

Forget the previous post for a minute. The negative mood has eased slightly.

I braved the snowbound landscape this morning (we had heavy snow overnight) and took a walk up to the Harry Potter wood at the top of the lane. And there I saw something unusual.

The early snowfall (it’s still technically autumn by the old reckoning) had been heavy and prolonged enough to get through the bare tree branches, and so the woodland floor had gained a substantial and all-encompassing covering of white. But many of the trees were not finished with the shedding of their desiccated leaves, and I watched them falling onto the snow, turning the white carpet into a piebald one.

It looked odd, incongruous, the turning of the seasons getting confused, and I wondered whether it boded something. I don’t suppose it did.

No comments: