Thursday 29 June 2023

Sainsbury's and a Curious Coincidence.

As I walked past the entrance to Sainsbury’s store in Ashbourne today I saw a woman lying on the floor in the doorway having presumably collapsed. She was being attended by several members of staff who were no doubt waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

As I walked on I recalled that I’d seen several people collapsed in Ashbourne in the twenty one years I’ve been living in the area, and here’s what’s odd. As far as I remember, all but one of them was lying either in Sainsbury's store or outside on the paved area close to the entrance. And even the single exception was less than 100 yards from the entrance to Sainsbury’s lot. And here’s another little addition to the coincidence. When my brother suffered the aneurysm which led to his death, he collapsed in another Sainsbury’s store in a town called Abingdon in Oxfordshire.

So should I have suspicions regarding the possibility of Sainsbury’s hosting a malevolent genius loci, especially in towns beginning with the letter A? And given the fact that I have a (relatively minor, apparently) heart condition, should I be giving Sainsbury’s a wide berth?

*  *  *

And now I wonder whether I should I mention in passing that the post I made on Tuesday about the ‘greed gene’ was the 9,000th published post since I started this blog in 2010? Well, now I have, but I’ll forego offering extended statistics on the matter (much as I’d like to.)

No comments: