Thursday 8 June 2023

On Refined Awareness and a Haunted Inbox.

I used to really like crisps, you know (chips to the Yankees), but since I had the old atherosclerosis problem I’ve more or less given them up (all that saturated fat, you know.) But tonight I had a pack for old time’s sake, and do you know what I found? When I’d finished the pack – and it was only a small one – I could feel the fat on my lips and teeth, and it was quite unpleasant. I never noticed that before I more or less gave them up. I’m more of a beetroot and bananas fan these days, which is a little disturbing but at least not disgusting.

It reminds me of when I became vegetarian. For a while I found that I missed eating meat because I’d always been a big fan of the stuff, but after about a year I began to find the thought of eating animal flesh – however well cooked it was – quite repulsive. Isn’t it interesting how your perception of something changes when you give it up for a while? Pity the same isn’t true of women.

*  *  *

The left hand panel of my Hotmail home page has a folder which says Junk 1. Nothing odd about that; it quite often says Junk 1. What’s odd in this instance is that the number 1 is grey instead of the usual blue, and when I go into the junk folder it says ‘You have no junk emails.’ The only explanation I can come up with is that there’s a ghost lurking in the dingy basement of my inbox.

No comments: