Monday 2 January 2023

The Mind's Little Word Trick.

It’s an odd fact that if you see a word often enough it changes its character, and so it is with the name ‘Janet’ which has been at the top of one of my inboxes for the past three months. It’s the name of a customer service adviser who emailed me in connection with a query which hasn’t yet come to full fruition. That’s why it’s still there and why it’s the first word I see every time I view that inbox.

I’m very familiar with the name Janet because I’ve lived with two of them, and yet now the first word I read looks unfamiliar, foreign even. I now see it as being maybe a French word, with the soft ‘j’ at the beginning and an open ending. I even find myself pronouncing it that way in my mind.

And thereby does the mind play tricks with our perceptions, and perception is the whole of the life experience, and so on and so forth… And I’m relieved to have something trivial to say for a change.

No comments: