Friday 20 January 2023

The Merits of Ms Medeea.

I went for my six-monthly visit to the dentist today and saw Ms Medeea as usual.

She didn’t do very much because there wasn’t very much that needed doing, but she said something she’s never said before: ‘But of course, I’m not your doctor.’ It was after she’d been talking about general medical matters and quizzing me about medications, prospective treatments and so on, and offering pertinent advice in an unobtrusive sort of way. She never stepped over the line and interfered, but it left me with the impression that she knows more about general medical matters than I would normally expect of a dentist. It’s an impression I’ve never had from any other dentist I’ve ever seen.

Now, I’ve waxed eloquent about Ms Medeea’s qualities of care, compassion, humanitarian values, and gentleness of demeanour before on this blog, but today she took another step up in my estimation. I realised that, even if she does little on the tooth care front, being in her presence and having her undivided attention for twenty minutes or so is a real delight. And that sort of experience is very rare for one such as me.

No comments: