Thursday 19 January 2023

Facing the Face Issue.

I saw my face in several mirrors today, and in each one I looked uglier than I thought I was. Since they were shop mirrors I took refuge in the thought that they were probably cheap ones and prone to distorting the reflection a little. I didn’t really believe it, of course, because I’ve never had much regard for my face anyway. In my younger days I had to purchase my lady friends with personality because my face lacked the necessary currency. These days my jaded personality lacks the energy to get past my face and so all is lost.

Not that it matters. The old days are long gone, the body is all but worn out, and all I have to concentrate on now is not frightening dogs and little girls. They’re about the only two creatures still capable of drawing a naturally friendly response, and neither of them seem to be unduly concerned about wrinkled smiles.

No comments: