Friday 22 November 2019

Pour les Visiteurs Francais.

I’ve often made reference on this blog to France, French people, and Frenchness generally (at least as it’s perceived by me or is a stereotype so common that it will be easily recognised.) And because there is a long history of conflict between the French and the English – now largely replaced by mostly friendly rivalry, I’m pleased to say – my references are often humorous in such a way that they could be misconstrued as insult.

Nothing could be further from the truth because I’m actually something of a Francophile. I like French culture; I like to hear the French language spoken; I like French music of the Impressionist school; and in particular I like the French sense of humour. And that’s encouraging because if I like the French sense of humour, there’s a good chance that the French will understand mine.

So please don’t be offended, Gallic chums. If ever I have something derogatory to say about something you’ve done, it will be stated plainly enough and you may rest assured that it will be well considered. You are, after all, no more perfect than anybody else (including us.)

(And I omitted to mention earlier that what I particularly like is hearing young French women speaking English with a genuine French accent. Mon Dieu.)

No comments: