Monday 17 June 2019

Wallowing in Wimp Land.

I did some more hedge trimming today without having a suspected heart attack. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I stopped half way along the 150ft length because I felt low and fatigued and decided not to risk the consequences. I decided to leave the rest until the next time we have a dry day and I’m not doing anything else. And that makes me a wimp.

I don’t like being a wimp. It offends me, but neither do I like lying on the sofa dressed in four layers of clothing with a swimming head, nausea, a cold sweat, extreme weakness, irregular heart beat (I had the presence of mind to check) and a pain across my chest, which is what happened last Sunday when I trimmed a different hedge. (I didn’t call an ambulance because they would probably have taken me to hospital and I wasn’t in the mood.)

And this isn’t about age. I’m not old enough yet to get a heart attack just because I make the effort to trim a 150ft hedge. And maybe it wasn’t a heart attack anyway. The whole thing seems to be about a return of the old chronic fatigue thing which assailed me between eight and four years ago.

Now, as I understand it, chronic fatigue is not a condition. It’s a symptom of several possible conditions. So what the hell is wrong me, and will they ever find out so there’s a possibility that I might get better? My doctor just thinks I’ve got an aching left leg, and I imagine he’s on holiday anyway because he doesn’t appear in the appointment listing on the website for five weeks. So I’ve decided to take the strenuous stuff reasonably easy, which means also persuading myself not to commit suicide on the perfectly reasonable grounds that being a wimp isn’t what I want to be.

And now do you understand why I so hate people asking me ‘How are you, Jeff?’ What am I supposed to do? If I reply ‘I’m fine, thanks. How are you?’ I would be lying. If I tell the truth and say ‘Well, actually…’ I have to watch the dullness of boredom appear in their eyes and suffer the sight of their feet going into spasm because they’re being denied the natural urge to flee.

Sorry for the whinge. Feel free to flee. And to those who didn’t make it this far I say: ‘I forgive you.’

No comments: