Wednesday 6 March 2019

Choosing House or Hagrid.

I’ve been bingeing on House episodes for some time now and it’s messing with my head. The problem is that I’m supposed to see him as the centre of the world, the fulcrum on which everything else of note pivots. But I don’t like him.

Two people have told me that I have House’s eyes, and who am I to disagree? I only ever see my eyes through a mirror, and mirrors give a false impression. What I can be sure of, however, is that every other bit of me is entirely mine.

*  *  *

And while I’m on the subject of similarities, I did one of those silly quizzes on YouTube recently, to find out which Harry Potter character I am. I got Hagrid.

Well now, they might have a point. As far as I’m aware, Hagrid is the only one of the Hogwarts staff and students who lives off campus. Sounds familiar. So far, so good. He’s also honest, dependable, kind hearted, emotionally vulnerable, and a nature boy. Can’t argue with that. But as for looking like him, not in a million years. And just to prove how wrong those silly YouTube quizzes can be, I’m appending a picture below. It was taken when I was a lot younger, a lot fitter, a lot stronger, a lot more certain that I was right about everything, around twenty pounds heavier, and a lot less graced with the qualities heretofore mentioned. See what you think:

Me looking nothing like Hagrid
  
I might also mention that I’ve been having a little lightweight conversation over the past few days with a YouTube video artist who publishes some excellent HP compilation clips. She’s from Australia, but writes excellent English like a true Brit. That's some recommendation in my book.

The conversation didn’t amount to much. I complimented her work and she said I sounded like an Asperger’s sufferer. Honours even, then. She also told me she’s a cross between Hermione Granger and Luna Lovegood. Well, who wouldn’t want to be one of those? I would happily acknowledge the description if it were applied to me. Sure beats House when all’s said and done. But if I’m a combination of Hermione and Luna, where does that leave dear, lovable Hagrid? Out in the cold?

And I’m only making this post because the old depressive tendency has become an all too pervasive bedfellow lately, and sometimes you just have to come up for air. Sorry if I’m boring you.

(And I did tell you to brush up on your Harry Potter studies, didn’t I?)

No comments: