Monday, 7 September 2026

The Story Not Written.

I was listening to a Loreena McKennitt song on YouTube earlier when a most bittersweet fable began to play before me in realistic detail. It was truly 'bittersweet', being both intensely bitter and intensely sweet at the same time. It seemed to me that I should write it as a short story, but within seconds I decided that I absolutely must not. 
 
I've long suspected that giving expression to stories -- or other creative works -- can have the power to turn fable into fact, and such a fact as this I could not countenance. It would affect others as well as myself, you see. Those who know the great tragedy in the life of Gustav Mahler will know what I mean.

But then the opportunist in me asked: 'How about quoting just the last line in your blog?' That, too, was instantly dismissed because the five words which constituted the last line were the most powerful of all.

No comments: