I was thinking about Christmas today for some unholy reason (I prefer to call it Yuletide now, by the way) when I was struck by an unholy notion.
It seemed to me that in the modern western world the main reason for celebrating what people like to call Christmas is to condition children to the notion that consumption is the truest way to happiness. And further, to establish in the unconscious minds of said children the persistent and pernicious hum of discontent which is the bedrock of consumption mania.
At least that's one way of looking at it.
Interestingly, I'm given to understand that a lot of extremely rich people who have every material thing there is to have also suffer discontent, and even depression, because they experience feelings of emptiness when there is nothing left to want. Humans are a bit of a failure really, aren't they?
(And now I have something to look forward to. When someone next asks me 'what are you doing for Christmas?' I intend to reply: 'Christmas? What's that? How do you spell it?)

No comments:
Post a Comment