Today in the Shire seemed to encapsulate that defining shift in the turning of the year. The air was mild and the sunshine comfortable, a far cry from its burning aspect in July. This week's twilights, however, have embraced the first few cutting chills of autumn to remind us that cold will soon be the new normal. It's a little premature for me because I make it a point of pride, principle, and pecuniary discretion to delay the switching on of the various electric space heaters in this house until at least 1st October. The result is comfortable days, but uncomfortable nights in the office and in bed. Won't be much longer now.
* * *
I was going to make posts on two subjects of interest to me: the case to be made for not preventing Iran from having nuclear weapons, and the lesser matter of elite sport losing its heart. They seemed inappropriate to September so I might make them later in the year. (And I don't expect anybody to care one way or the other, by the way. It's just that if you have a blog you have to say something on it.)

No comments:
Post a Comment