1. We now have a new village mailbox after four weeks without one. It's a brand new one, too, featuring a modern fascia with CR (Charles Rex) instead of the old ER (Elizabeth Regina) as the last one was. It's odd to have a mail service in Britain which is now fully privatised but still called Royal Mail. You wouldn't think so from the way they act sometimes.
2. After two days of activity it appears the electrical engineers have now got the telecomms cabinet back on the main. Hopefully we won't have any more -- almost daily -- 10 minute internet drops while the temporary battery was being changed, or much longer ones when the battery ran flat.
3. The pain at the base of my fingers on left hand is back when I put any stress on them. This is inconvenient when you're doing garden work with tools. Ever the martyr to the cause, I still managed two hours today and wore myself out in the process. (That's a slight exaggeration, but not by much.)
4. I encountered two strangers and a dog in Bag Lane today. One of the humans was a middle aged woman who said 'hello' with a vocal nuance which I found quite unable to read. The other was a girl of around late teens who scowled at me and said nothing. She was the one leading the dog, and the dog being a young and rather delightful Cocker Spaniel, I naturally wanted to ask 'may I make friends with your dog?' (By an interesting coincidence, they were precisely the first words I ever said to the Lady B back when the world was young.) The scowl was fierce enough to preclude such intimacy, however, so I walked on.
5. Lydia waved to me today.
And that's about it. Bye.

No comments:
Post a Comment