Monday, 14 September 2026

A Sudden Shift.

I just relinquished my undertaking -- reported a couple of days ago -- and picked up my book of Virginia Woolf 'short stories' again. (I had some time to fill while attempting to re-boot my ailing computer, and it was too early to make my night time cup of coffee.) 
 
Well, what a revelation. Everything I said about dear V's style went completely out of the window. I thought I'd just try to struggle through the first paragraph, but instead read two pages and didn't want to put it down when my computer needed assistance.

It's a pretty straightforward narrative, you see, about a group of bored young women deciding that they must get out and discover the world run by men before they so much as contemplate bearing a child. They've become suspicious, you see, of the notion that the women populate the world while the men civilise it. And it's full of Virginia's keen observation, lively intelligence, capacious imagination, and subtle wit.

I am now persuaded to open a new label down below, a Virginia Woolf label. And that means I have to scroll through the last week or two's posts to find suitable players to enter the new team. It won't be a trial, and it's nearly time for my late coffee anyway.

No comments: