Thursday 23 June 2022

Today's Twilight Epiphany.

I want to make a blog post but don’t know how to do it. The words are the problem; for once I can’t find the right ones to express something profound because it seems to be inexpressible. The basics, however, go like this:

I was regarding one of my favourite plants this evening – a Japanese maple which I planted myself and have long regarded as queen of the garden. I looked at the shape of the leaves which I find particularly attractive, I looked at the variegated colours of red and green contained therein, and I felt suddenly overwhelmed with a sense of the immeasurable richness of the natural world – the infinite variation in the size and shape of trees, and the size and shape of the leaves which grow on them, and the size, shape and colour of the flowers which grace the growing things. And that’s only the start of it. This can be extended to the animals and the birds and the insects and the fish, and every other living creature down to the slimy things which crawl with legs upon a slimy sea.

It went further into a sense of privilege that my consciousness, be it a function of my brain or something merely using it as a vehicle, should have the opportunity to witness it all. It even made me think about God and His Works, but the attitude held firm that if there is a God, It is infinitely greater, deeper, more all-encompassing than the feeble concept handed to us by the Judaic religious tradition. And let’s leave the notion of God there because I simply don’t know, as I’m fairly sure nobody does.

What did occur to me later, however, was that if I’d led a different life, a life bound up with the concept of success which the western world expects us to adopt, a life in which I climbed the property ladder and surrounded myself with all the latest accoutrements, a life in which I changed my car for the newest version of some prestigious marque every two years, a life in which I basked on sunlit beaches in foreign parts surrounded by all the best expressions of material advancement which the world of human endeavour has laid before us, a life in which I never went short of anything which money could buy, tonight’s epiphany would probably never have happened.

So thanks to whoever or whatever it might be that I was granted the fortune of remaining a nondescript peasant with a mind to see what matters. Or does it? Take it from there if you want to, but I’m content for the time being with my version.

No comments: