Tuesday 28 June 2022

Mixed Fortunes and the Mole Coundrum.

So what denizen of the nether world out there was responsible for today’s maddening frustration? British Telecom. Say no more.

But there was one little bright spot today. The malfunction on my blog, the resolution to which was going to require me to get a degree in computing, put itself right without my stir. I assume somebody on Mount Olympus must have been to the dentist and had his or her toothache dealt with. (I do hope the lady Medeea hasn’t died and been promoted to the God realm. I’ve got an appointment booked with her in October.) Oh, and I managed to find Settings in my new Norton. It didn’t help much.

*  *  *

So now let me report another of this year’s firsts. I saw my first mole today. (Isn’t it odd that somebody can spend many years of their life living in the countryside, occasionally been caused annoyance by molehills, without ever seeing a mole?) It was lying dead by the side of the road near my gate. And therein lies another mystery.

What caused it to die? It wasn’t squashed or mauled, so that more or less rules out a car or a cat, and a predator would have eaten it. And what makes the circumstance even odder is the fact that when I saw it on my way out for a walk it was facing one way, but when I came back it was facing the opposite way. All of which brooks the question yet again: is some agent of the universe trying to tell me something? If so, I wish they’d be more explicit.

No comments: