Tuesday 14 June 2022

Ladies of Middle Earth.

It’s odd how days have themes. On Saturday it was water. On Saturday I had a shower, washed the car, washed the dishes, did the week’s laundry, watered the house plants, watered the garden. All water.

Tonight it’s the three female leads from Lord of the Rings. I’ve encountered them by accident several times today. (That’s Eowyn, Arwen and Galadriel, just in case anybody isn’t sure.) So I got to thinking about them.

First of all I have to admit that my experience is limited to the Peter Jackson movies which I’ve seen several times, including the very long extended version. I’ve never read the books so my knowledge of them is filtered through actors’ performances, but they’re vivid enough to be memorable.
 


 
Eowyn is the pretty, flaxen-haired Saxon maiden. Earthy, worldly, determined, courageous. Arwen is the intuitive, sensitive, highly emotional elfin beauty. Galadriel is the goddess made manifest, radiant in appearance and possessed of great knowledge and wisdom. All delectable and desirable. So how would a gentleman of discernment choose between them if he were privileged enough to have the opportunity?

Simple, really. Galadriel is the only one with a dark side. That’s what gives her the edge.

(Then again, given that I’m in thrall to the three women motif, I’d want all of them. Sweet dreams are made of this. And if you think this is a bit over the top, do bear in mind that I have to find things to make blog posts about.)

No comments: