Thursday 15 April 2021

The Twilight Swing.

I often wonder why twilight is so important to me; why the ambient condition at that time of day affects my state of mind more than at any other.

I think it’s because twilight is the fulcrum of the diurnal round, the point at which the head of the boat swings through the prevailing wind in order to change tack, the nether world in which the mind is eased away from obeisance to the god and led unerringly to veneration of the moon. As the light sinks at twilight we experience the essence of flux, which is the only constant of material existence. I suspect that’s what gives it its subtle power to generate a surprisingly profound change in perception.

(The metaphors I’m using are a little fanciful, I know, but the fact remains that there is always something tantalisingly mysterious about nether worlds.)

I suppose the early risers – to which august company I certainly don’t belong – might find the same to be true of the dawn. I find the contrast interesting because it means that their mysterious nether world leads them into the light, whereas mine takes me drifting into darkness. It probably explains a lot.

No comments: