Wednesday 14 April 2021

Another Excuse.

I’ve been less than attentive to my blog again lately, haven’t I? It had nothing to do with black dogs this time, but rather the boringly mundane matter of being busy. I heard a mellifluous voice drift on the wind from the garden a few days ago. It said:

‘Excuse me, Mr JJ, but you do know what time of the year it is, don’t you? I realise that the air is rather colder than one might reasonably expect this far beyond the equinox – we are plants after all, and so are in the best of positions to notice such a phenomenon – but the spring is springing, you see, and we are united in feeling that you should, perhaps, pay us some attention.’

I was chastened, of course, and so I have been paying my green friends the attention they undoubtedly deserve. I’ve also finished and fitted the new bird table, but have since noticed that I must have suffered a loss of concentration at one point. One of the side panels is a whole centimetre out of proper position, and so the whole looks unbalanced and is causing me some distress. In consequence, attention is needed and will be paid. And then there’s the house to keep in order, and a significant plethora of other things vying for appropriate action. It’s all rather tedious, but that’s how things are at the moment.

Today my mind has been oft distracted by thoughts of the Lady B and the priestess, which is verging on the incomprehensible since I’ve never met the priestess and probably never shall, and my last sighting of the Lady B was around two months ago when she was jogging down my lane accompanied by some bloke who I assumed to be connected with her in some way (her husband, I expect, but how would I know?)

But maybe that gives the clue as to why my thoughts have been oft distracted. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, don’t they? Can’t say I’ve ever much subscribed to the view myself, but I have been known to be wrong.

No comments: