Sunday 18 April 2021

Out of the Mouths of Babes and Furry Things.

Let me say at the outset that I’m not generally a controlling type as the concept is normally perceived. In fact, I regard those who are controlling types (as normally perceived) with scorn and not a little loathing. And yet…

…and yet…

A squirrel taught me today that my response to being challenged with regard to control over my personal environment is rather stronger than I feel it ought to be. Did I say a squirrel? Yes, I said a squirrel. (I never realised just how much attitude those cute little guys with the long bushy tails have. They’re combative creatures, and they don’t care how big you are.)

So I thought about this and soon realised that the need to control your environment is an expression of fear. Fear of what, I asked myself. Well, fear of losing control I suppose. That wasn’t sufficient because the next question was: ‘why should losing control – or even having it challenged – be something to fear?’ Simple answer: because losing control leaves you vulnerable to life’s vicissitudes, and life’s vicissitudes are unpredictable and therefore potentially dangerous.

You must admit, that makes a certain sense and is, perhaps, not so unreasonable (even though the Taoists would say it’s pointless.) Nevertheless, being handed this lesson by a squirrel (rather than a Taoist) seemed a little odd. But maybe we would all be happier and less stressed if only we could stop fearing the loss of control.

And I do know that I’m not the first person to come to this realisation. I’ve heard it come out of the mouths of young people a few times, but because they were young I mostly ignored it. So the next time I hear this bit of worldly wisdom come out of the mouth of a young person, I must remember to ask them whether they’ve had any encounters with squirrels lately.

No comments: