Friday 16 April 2021

On Purity and a Fail.

For several hours today there’s been a post I’ve wanted to make. It seemed important and I did try, but the words wouldn’t come. Every attempt at phrasing was awkward and inadequate, and the elements of logical expression so necessary to effective communication declined to coalesce into an acceptable form. I found it most frustrating and gave up.

It was about the search for purity (I’ve touched on it before in this blog) and after much reasoning it came to an impenetrable barrier when I tried to find the ultimate definition of the term. I could see it flitting about behind a diaphanous screen, tempting me to reach through and grab it, but it remained elusive and vague and I decided that I’m not yet mature enough to be ready to know it. It seems I am but a minor knight searching for the Holy Grail, and therefore destined to die a lonely death on some blasted heath without ever finding it.

And do you know what started all this? Spending 2½ hours this afternoon cleaning the car inside and out. It’s often said that great oaks from little acorns grow, so maybe the biggest questions can also sprout from the most mundane of activities. For the time being, however, it seems my own oak is still a long way from bearing leaves.

No comments: