Wednesday 7 April 2021

A Rare Experience.

I’m getting into my new book now – the paranormal/psychological drama, The Haunting of Hill House. And here’s an interesting fact:

I’m hardly ever spooked by stories which fall within the genre labelled ‘horror.’ A few Japanese films have come close, but that’s about it. I don’t recall any film, book or short story having made me reluctant to go upstairs at dead of night. (The three films I remember scaring me witless were Jaws, Alien and Life of Pi, none of which had anything paranormal about them. The Ghost and the Darkness – which has lions but no ghosts in it – was another one until I forced myself to watch it to the end, at which point I realised that it was effectively a remake of Jaws. The previous sense of spookiness was immediately dispelled and replaced by self-congratulation at what I regarded as a mildly adroit observation.)

But after reading most of chapter 2 last night, I did feel slightly reluctant to go upstairs. It made a refreshing change, and has to stand as some level of commendation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie 'The Haunting' 1963, is based on the novel. It's the most frightening film I've ever seen.
n.

JJ said...

I know; it's been a favourite of mine for a long time. In fact, I'd decided to get the DVD, but changed my mind and bought the book instead. It struck me that I would get all the extra nuances, it would keep me occupied longer, and it would be cheaper. Having said which, weren't Julie Harris and Claire Bloom just splendid?

Anonymous said...

Yes, they were. I'll have to get the DVD from the library one of these days, when I want to have even more anxiety ;-)

JJ said...

Now I want to see the film again because I want to see how they handled the character of Eleanor. Being over half way through the book, I'm finding her easily the strongest of the four main protagonists. The other three are coming across as stock characters uttering predictable lines. For me, Eleanor is far and away the most 'real' of the group, and that's what I find interesting. It's an awfully long time since I saw the film, but I do remember seeing Eleanor as merely disturbed and teetering on the edge of sanity. So does this indicate how much I and my perceptions have changed in the intervening years?

Anonymous said...

It may. When I first saw the movie, read the book, I found her the most vulnerable, intuitive character, and the house wanted her...

JJ said...

On the basis of what I've read so far, so would I.